It was the final decade of the prominence of the vinyl 45 rpm record (surpassed by the cassette single in 1990) and pop music was thriving …
– popularity of MTV and music videos led to an explosion of new artists on the charts, such as Men At Work, Duran Duran, Culture Club, and Tears For Fears
– most popular artists of the decade included Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Hall & Oates, and George Michael
– mainstream breakthrough of once-alternative bands The Police, U2, INXS, and R.E.M.
– rap’s ascendance, spearheaded by Run-D.M.C., L.L. Cool J, and the Fat Boys
– renown of hard rockers Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Guns N’ Roses, Van Halen, and Poison
– fundamental American rock and roll sound of Bruce Springsteen, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tom Petty, and Bryan Adams
– career comebacks by Tina Turner, Aerosmith, Steve Winwood, Alice Cooper, and Roy Orbison
– emergence of new female artists such as Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, the Go-Go’s, and the Bangles
– from the ashes of disco, new dance sounds by Madonna, Janet Jackson, Expose, Jody Watley, and Paula Abdul
Watch this exciting era unfold across 520 weekly charts!
|Dimensions||8.5 × 1.75 × 11 in|