It was the final decade of the prominence of the vinyl 45 rpm record (surpassed by the cassette single in 1990) and pop music was thriving …
– popularity of MTV and music videos led to an explosion of new artists on the charts, such as Men At Work, Duran Duran, Culture Club and Tears For Fears
– most popular artists of the decade included Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Daryl Hall & John Oates and George Michael
– mainstream breakthrough of once-alternative bands The Police, U2, INXS and R.E.M.
– explosion of rap, spearheaded by Run-D.M.C., L.L. Cool J and the Fat Boys
– renown of hard rockers Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Guns N’ Roses, Van Halen and Poison
– fundamental American rock and roll sound of Bruce Springsteen, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tom Petty and Bryan Adams
– career comebacks by Tina Turner, Aerosmith, Steve Winwood, Alice Cooper and Roy Orbison
– emergence of new female artists such as Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, the Go-Go’s and the Bangles
– from the ashes of disco, new dance sounds by Madonna, Janet Jackson, Expose, Jody Watley and Paula Abdul
Watch this exciting era unfold across 520 weekly charts!